Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The modern prom (curl) girl

 Ahh the dreaded prom....and what to do to make our prom girls turn into little models and make them have the envy of all the other girls at the prom?  Well this is my girl Caitlyn.  I have known her since before she was born, having done her mom's hair for the last 25 years.  Caty called me a couple of months ago and told me that she wanted me to do her hair for the prom since her favorite hairdresser Kev doesn't like doing updos.  I told her I'd love to and after doing some cool stuff for the Moore Fashion Show we just did, I had some thing in mind.  I told her to just trust me and come in no need for a practice (Although I highly reccommend practice trials when doing a bride)
I gave Caty pre-updo instructions to not wash her hair that day; which makes it easier to hold the style and started off in the back (which makes it easier by not having to move already curled hair).  I wrapped each half inch sections on the outside of the iron as not to give her that boofy old-school prom curl look.  I used Aquage's Working Spray which I think is the best for building up strength in the hair.  After the head was completly curled, I pulled down the curl by using Aquage's Detailing Creme and a little Transforming Paste giving the curl a looser look.
Before the styling part, I took Caty over to do her makeup.  I like putting the makeup on before the finished look is completed because I tend to put my hand on the head and mess up the hair.  I also like when the makeup is on while I am finishing the hair because they can settle in with the look of the makeup - and it makes them less nervous for the finished product.
Caty's makeup was more then she usually wears because it needed to stay on until the after-prom - which is always better then the actual prom so its even more important to look good at  3am.  Her dress was purple and she loves pink so I did her eyes in those colors.  It was fun to do her make up.  Young skin is always such a good canvas to work on.
I left her hair down for a bit so she could see a couple of styles.   Although, because of the weather, I pulled it up which was my original intention.  I placed her hair in a loose side pony and left some hair out for softness. She loved it and so did i - which is a good thing since I tend to be a little (ha ha) critical of my own work. I am still waiting for pics when she was in her dress .. Til next time...Bye...W
(Photos courtesy of Kevin Von Holtermann)










No comments:

Post a Comment