Friday, June 24, 2011

Continuing Education

I think it is ironic that I still love teaching so much even though I definitely had difficulties with learning when I went to school.  For the past 30 years, I have had the opportunity to work for and educate some of the best and brightest talent in the industry.  Which brings me to this question...Why isn't continuing education required in every state of the USA?  It seems to me that it would be a no-brainer to keep ourselves up to date on the current styles and trends in a business that is forever changing.      I remember one time when I was working a hair show in Ohio, when I was approached by a hairdresser attending the show.  She asked me if I would be so kind as to sign a form verifying that I was actually there.  I looked at her and asked what it was for and she proceeded to tell me that the state of Ohio requires ALL licensed stylists to do a certain amount of hours in continuing education per year.  Although I completely agree with that statement, it sparked this question...Why is it not a universal rule of thumb in the hair industry?
    
After I returned home, I found out that my own state of PA was one of the states that does not require continuing education for the cosmetology field.  It's not many hours per year...it's just enough to keep you informed and up-to-date on what is going on in the beauty biz.  I decided to make an oath to myself and my employees when I started in this business and it's still my #1 priority...next to my clients well-being and happiness.  Dedication to education is my motto.
    
In my opinion, what makes a great hairdresser is one who is constantly striving to better themselves as a professional and one that is willing to share their information and expertise with anyone willing to listen and learn.  I have always surrounded myself with professionals with a heart.  Where ego and attitude are far from the surface.  Where I am able to get a bird's-eye-view on what it means to be a true professional.  Where I can learn to give back all that I could to a profession that has given me so much.
    
For the past 7 years I've had the honor to work for Luis Alvarez with Aquage.  His desire for education reinforced my beliefs to teach and be taught constantly and I have dedicated my professional and non-professional life to continuing to inspire and educate my staff at Ground Zero.  I am better at what I do because of the people I have taught and the teachers who have inspired me.
    
 This past Wed. morning, my Ground Zero Center City salon held a highlighting class.  It was a wonderful jam session/learning platform for the junior stylists, as well as the master stylists helping guide the juniors along.  I am a firm believer of not wasting time in the salon, and every minute of down-time can be used to learn and inspire, teach, create, and hone one's skills to their fullest potential.  Everyday at Ground Zero is continuing education because there is no growth without it.  Here are some pictures of our morning

Enjoy!
W








  

No comments:

Post a Comment